SCL welcomes new Board of Trustees
The Society of Chief Librarians (SCL) is delighted to announce the appointment of its first Board of Trustees as SCL adopts charitable status and begins to move into its role as an Arts Council England funded Sector Support Organisation.
The new trustees bring a wealth of talent and experience to the organisation at this exciting stage of its development. Membership of the new Board is drawn from the heads of public library services as well as public services and the arts.
Neil MacInnes, SCL President:
‘I would like to warmly welcome all the new members of the Board; I am so pleased that we have gathered such an exceptional group of people to help lead our new organisation. My thanks go to all of our new trustees who are volunteering their valuable time to help develop and support public libraries in the UK and I look forward to working closely with you all’.
The full Board is as follows:
- Neil MacInnes, President of SCL and Strategic Lead for Libraries, Galleries and Culture in Manchester
- Mark Freeman, President Elect of SCL and Libraries and Information Service Manager in Stockton-on-Tees
- Martin Burton, Community Cultural Services Manager, South Gloucestershire Council
- Tony Durcan OBE, Assistant Director Transformation, Newcastle City Council
- Jane Ellison, Head of Creative Partnerships at the BBC
- Julie Griffiths, Library Strategy and Development Manager in Halton and SCL Learning Offer lead
- Ayub Khan MBE, Head of Face to Face Services for Warwickshire, President of CILIP and SCL Digital Offer lead
- Ilona Kish, Programme Director, Public Libraries 2020 at The Reading and Writing Foundation
- Joanne Launder, Head of Service Delivery for Libraries Unlimited
- Sarah Mears, Essex Library Services Manager and SCL Culture Offer lead
- Vera Owen, Lawyer and Civil Servant
- Carol Stump, Chief Librarian in Kirklees
- Liz White, Head of Strategy Development at the British Library.
SCL’s vision is an inclusive, modern, sustainable and high quality public library service at the heart of every community in the UK. We believe modern public libraries should be the cornerstone of the community and should deliver a diverse spectrum of local needs around information, learning, literacy, employment and digital skills, health, culture and leisure.
The new Board will formally begin their roles next month, with the new Chief Executive, Isobel Hunter, taking up her post on 23 April.
Notes to editors
The Society of Chief Librarians (SCL) is a membership organisation, representing heads of library services in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. SCL takes a leading role in the development of public libraries, through sharing best practices, advocating for continuous improvement on behalf of local people, and leading the debate on the future of the public library service.
As a Sector Support Organisation, SCL’s role will be to:
- Represent the public library sector nationally, regionally and locally
- Connect partners to local libraries, by brokering national partnerships
- Improve the provision of local library services
- Drive innovation and new thinking around the role of libraries in a modern society.